March 24, 2014

Miami Weekend Getaway & Our Must-Do List

Yes, the only good photo from a three shot camera timer is with his hand on my boob. This is his favorite pose when being in a photo. This is from the Wynwood neighborhood.







Miami has become our weekend destination... to relax! Our first weekend spent in Miami was Labor Day weekend in 2012 and we stayed at The Standard; it was the most relaxing weekend ever! We spent our time laying by the pool under an umbrella (well, my pale skin requires a full-time umbrella) and only left the hotel for dinner and a bike ride. This past weekend we pretty much did the same except we stayed at a different hotel since I wouldn't be able to enjoy the Lido Spa massage floor, which is amazing if you're not pregnant!

LIST OF MUST-DOS FOR A QUICK RELAXING MIAMI GETAWAY
STAY
W HOTEL
THE STANDARD
SEE
WYNWOOD
EAT
PUBBELLY
PRIDE & JOY
YARDBIRD


The morning of my birthday we woke up early, dropped the dogs off at daycare and made it to Miami in four hours. Once we checked in we spent some time on the beach to do my birthday suit compare photo and ordered a bite to eat to hold us over until dinner. I was so happy to find watermelon on almost every menu in Miami! Baby S was craving it too, you can see her foot about to kick me in the ribs!


On a mini vaca like this, our main goal is to relax but also eat well at places we can't get in Tampa. We did our usual google searches for "farm to table" and "foodie" and then ultimately asked our friends of our favorite restaurant in Tampa, The Refinery where we should go. The one place they mentioned was Pubbelly, we looked it up and realized that's where we went in 2012; we're not big 'repeaters' because we like to try new places but we loved it so we decided to go there again and end our search so we could get back to doing nothing. 
Pork belly must be 'in season' because it was all over the menu so of course we ordered plenty, their dumplings were amazing and the noodles and rice dish was spicy and filling. I decided to skip dessert because I was really in the mood for a big cup of ice cream around the corner. Their menu changes. and may change by the time you click, but this was the menu on my birthday. We had the McBelly, Short Rib & Corn dumplings, Kimchee Fried Rice and Green Beans. 

The next day we ate at The Dutch, the restaurant in the W, and as imagined it was over priced and mediocre but convenient since we had to stake out chairs by the pool before there was a wait list. 

Although we enjoyed ourselves by the pool for a couple hours it was a cloudy day so we decided to head to our favorite part of town, no, not South Beach but the Wynwood art district. There's basically a ton of art galleries, an awesome coffee shop, a few food spots (we had a bite to eat at The Butcher Shop) and one brewery. What makes this area so unique and artsy is the artwork displayed outside of all the buildings. 
These photos are from our last trip in 2012 
(the only one we took this year is the one above)




Within one of the Wynwood buildings is a fresh juice bar, JugoFresh. Since our next stop was the Wynwood Brewery, I grabbed a fresh juice and Nate had a juice made into a vegan milkshake. These were so good, they're made fresh every morning in-house. 

I had the P.A.M.pered Ginger (Pineapple, Apple, Ginger, Mint and Maca Extract). 

Of course, we had to visit their brewery, Wynwood Brewing Company. Luckily, for me, they had games :) The beers weren't rated very high by Nate but it was refreshing to find craft beers. 
As usual, I won :)

For dinner we were looking for something a little more casual and in the neighborhood so we ate at a BBQ spot called, Pride & Joy. It wasn't the best, but it was still good and just what we needed. 

Nate let me sleep in before checking out of the hotel while making his arm fall asleep. I have a confession I never thought I'd have to tell. For the first time ever, on the night of my birthday, I woke Nate and myself up from snoring! I woke myself up multiple times during the night...

And the most important place we went the entire trip was to YardBird for brunch, all thanks to our foodie friend Matt! We HIGHLY recommend this spot too. This was a perfect end to a very relaxing birthday trip and what some might call a baby moon... our real baby moon will happen after she's born :)

No comments:

Post a Comment